October 23, 2010

SmoothFox's Diagonal Box Stitch Square 6x6



This is a free pattern. Click on the link below:

Happy Crocheting!
Donna

There are pictures and graphics that are available in the version with the link above.

Hobby Lobby “I Love This Yarn!” 4 ply Medium Worsted
Color A: Ivory
Michaels – Impeccable – “Loops & Threads”
Color B: Fern

Hook Size: G - 6 - 4.25 MM
Skill level: Intermediate
Size: 6” x 6”
Stitch marker - 2
Yarn Needle

Special Stitches:
Beginning Shell – Ch 6, dc in 4th ch from hook, dc in next 2 ch
Shell – Slip st in indicated ch-3 sp, Ch 3, 3 dc in same ch-3 sp from previous row

My Ravelry Store: http://www.ravelry.com/stores/smoothfox-crochet-designs
My Etsy Store: http://smoothfox.etsy.com/
My Crochet and Knit Merchandise: http://zazzle.com/smoothfox*
My blog: http://smoothfoxlover.blogspot.com/

Please read before beginning the pattern.
The Diagonal Box Stitch is not my original creation. I found this wonderful link for knitted squares but I wanted a crochet version. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pathways-blanket

NOTE: IF YOU ARE UNFAMILIAR WITH THE DIAGONAL BOX STITCH - HERE IS A VIDEO LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atWgB88WDjw

IF YOU WANT TO SEE MORE PICTURES YOU CAN LOOK AT THIS LINK – THERE ARE SEVERAL PAGES WITH STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS: http://www.crochetcabana.com/stitches/diag-box-st.htm

IF YOU CROCHET THIS ITEM - PLEASE CLICK ON THIS LINK AND ADD YOUR OWN PICTURES AS A PROJECT ON RAVELRY.   http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/free-smoothfoxs-diagonal-box-stitch-square-6x6   JUST CLICK ON THE CROCHET HOOK WITH THE WORDS “HOOK IT” NEAR THE TOP RIGHT SIDE AND THIS WILL ADD YOUR ITEM AS A PROJECT.  THEN YOU CAN ADD THE PICTURES WHEN YOU HAVE COMPLETED YOUR PROJECT.

INSTRUCTIONS:

Row 1: (Right Side): Using color A, ch 6, dc in 4th ch from hook, insert 1st stitch marker between the ch-3 sp and dc just made, dc in next 2 ch. Beginning shell made (1 shell)

Row 2: Ch 6, dc in 4th ch from hook, insert 2ND stitch marker between the ch-3 sp and dc just made, dc in next 2 ch beginning shell made, turn row 1 beg shell and flip beg shell upward, (slip st in first marked st, ch 3, 3 dc) all in first marked ch-3 sp of previous row, shell made. Remove 1st st marker. (2 shells)

Row 3: Beginning shell, turn previous row, *shell; repeat from * across changing to color B in last dc. Remove 2nd st marker. (3 shells)

Row 4: Beginning shell, turn previous row, * shell; repeat from * across. (4 shells)

Rows 5 thru 9: Repeat Row 4 increasing 1 shell each row in the following color sequence:
2 more rows color B, 3 rows color A. At the end of row 9 you will have 9 shells.

Decrease rows begin
Row 10: Ch 1, turn, slip st in first 3 dc, *slip st into ch-3 sp, shell, repeat from * across shells, slip st in last shell. (8 shells)

Rows 11 thru 16: Repeat Row 10 decreasing 1 shell each row, in the following color sequence: one more row color A, 3 rows color B, 3 rows color A. Finish off.

Created by Donna Mason-Svara aka SmoothFoxLover@yahoo.com 2010

This pattern has been tested. Please notify me of any pattern corrections. I will answer any and all questions you may have with the instructions. Do not plagiarize this pattern. All patterns are my original designs. Please do not re-sell my patterns or give them away for free or post my patterns on the Internet. You may sell items you make from my patterns at craft fairs, fund raisers or custom orders for friends and family but please do not sell finished items on the Internet without my written permission. Do not claim designs as your own.

This pattern is copyrighted by me and I give my permission for you to post pictures of items made from my pattern on your website if you will post a link back to my ETSY store if the pattern is for sale. If the pattern is free, please direct people to my Blog. Be sure to list the name SmoothFox as the designer.

2 comments:

Miss H said...

I love this pattern, any colour combo looks amazing! Thanks for posting the pattern. I have posted a picture of my finished square on my blog, would love if you hopped over and checked it out. XOXO

mel said...

I really enjoyed using this pattern to make two squares, or I suppose 5 squares depending on how you're counting. I've been on Ravelry for quite some time as melsnik. Posted several pictures there, and also on my blog.

This was such a fun pattern! I love the technique, and I'm so very pleased at how much the second square ended up looking like it came from a patchwork quilt.

Right now I'm considering what an interesting scarf this could make if you just kept going diagonally back and forth, keeping the same maximum number of blocks in a row until you get to the desired length, and then reducing the number of blocks to finish the end. I might try that some day in yarns that are softer than the cotton I needed for the squares. Thanks for sharing a great pattern!

Post a Comment

Please post general comments for everyone to see however if your comment is regarding that you want to test a pattern or need me to fix an error in a pattern - do not leave a comment. Just send me an email instead.

SmoothFoxLover@yahoo.com